Error: Cannot init d3d OR GRF file has problem [closed]

Having problems with the game.exe, patcher, or client? This is the place to ask for help.
Robuel
Been liked: 1 time

Error: Cannot init d3d OR GRF file has problem [closed]

Post by Robuel »

Hello!

Whenever I attempt to start the game I get the error message "Error: Cannot init d3d OR GRF file has problem". I've already attempted to add the launcher to my exceptions on windows defender and firewall as well as running it as an admin, but I keep encountering the same error.
tonybarreran

Re: Error: Cannot init d3d OR GRF file has problem

Post by tonybarreran »

I'm having the same issue, it started happening after I patched and downloaded new files. I redownloaded the client and still had this
GM Oreki
Administrator
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by GM Oreki »

Hi,

In the full client folder try to rename the dbghelp.dll file to dbghelp_old.dll and try to load the game again.

Let me know if you need any more help.

Thanks!

Enjoying MindRO? Help others find it - leave a review on RMS!
Robuel
Been liked: 1 time

Post by Robuel »

Hi GM Oreki,

The file name is already dbghelp_old.dll by default when we extracted the client. I'm still getting the error unfortunately.

Edit: Okay. This is weird, but for some reason it's now working fine on my end. I had to toggle on the "Disable hardware-accelerated graphics" and start the game then turn that off again and it worked!
These users liked this post by Robuel
Dexter
Im Chim

Post by Im Chim »

I'm having the same issue.

After the latest update my game started to have a visual glitch (I already shared a short video on discord asking for help) and my game just shut down if I warp from Prontera to any other map.

Now I'm having the same [Error: Cannot init d3d OR GRF file has problem] when I start the game through the patch. If I try to run Mindro.exe I can choose my character but if I try to enter the map it shuts down.

Don't know what it's causing this issues, but the game run perfectly fine until yesterday. /sob
tonybarreran

Post by tonybarreran »

Robuel wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 10:11 am Hi GM Oreki,

The file name is already dbghelp_old.dll by default when we extracted the client. I'm still getting the error unfortunately.

Edit: Okay. This is weird, but for some reason it's now working fine on my end. I had to toggle on the "Disable hardware-accelerated graphics" and start the game then turn that off again and it worked!
This worked for me, thanks a lot

Edit: The error I had stopped appearing but now when the client opens I just see a black screen then it crashes
GM Oreki
Administrator
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by GM Oreki »

We fixed some potential causes of this problem. Please try to re-download the client one more time to see if it fixes your problem.

https://mindro.org/download

Last updated on 2022-09-27

Apologies for the inconveniences you had. Being a problem that only some players have and not others, there was no way to identify it in advance.

Enjoying MindRO? Help others find it - leave a review on RMS!