One handed bows and guns for next update [closed]

The place to make development requests for the next updates (example: requesting a headgear quest).
Dexter
Has liked: 25 times
Been liked: 19 times

One handed bows and guns for next update [closed]

Post by Dexter »

Hi everyone

It's no secret that the sniper class is particularly very disadvantaged in PvP compared to other classes and the reason for that is quite simple, snipers just have no def!

Luckily the solution for that is simple as well, all we need to do is make bows one handed so snipers can also equip shields. I know this sounds a little bit unorthodox for the concept of this server being not heavily customized and all but let's face it, this change does not break any balance and it's the only way to give the sniper class a chance in PvP.

With this change even new comers can hop in into events like KoE and LMS in their first couple of days feeling confident in their gear because snipers don't really need MVP cards (except for Samurai Spector which is not really mandatory and is okay as mid term goal).

While we're at it, we can also make Guns one handed for the same reason.

Looking forward for others opinion and GM's final say
randgrior
Been liked: 11 times

Re: One handed bows and guns for next update

Post by randgrior »

I do not mean to sound rude, but I strongly disagree with this idea. It goes against the very concept of this game, which is minimal customization.
I believe many players chose MindRO because it offers an experience similar to the official one, in terms of mechanics, while looking for increased rates that only a private server can provide.

Also, ranged classes fight from a distance. They have many resources to keep their enemy from approaching, such as status arrows or traps. In a defensive situation, they can use their flee status, swap into a shield, or hide (Smokie card) in the same manner an Assassin Cross plays, for example, when in a pinch.
And there are many possible builds where they can have high vitality, such as trapper/falcon Sniper or Desperado Gunslinger. Any quick search will provide any player with a plethora of guides.

All jobs come with advantages and disadvantages, and the fun part is to play their different styles. One thing is to criticize balance regarding mechanics such as itens or skills (it could be suggested more stronger gears for ranged classes, for example); another is complaining about how an archer fights in any RPG. I am sorry to say it, but the player is just being lazy, in this case; the same way someone complains about magic classes having magic casting.

Moreover, there are many heavily modified servers with such features: all weapons are one-handed; every gear has 2 or 4 card slots; no skill delay and so on. They can easily be found listed on ratemyserver. While all of them are broken because they remove core mechanics, if any player wants to try something different, they can play there, as long as the rules here are followed: "3. Do not discuss or engage in a conversation about other servers in public." - meaning, do not advertise other specific servers here.

I did not mean to offend anyone here, as everyone is free to play and express themselves however they want - of course, with prudence and manners. What I wrote is, mainly, just an opinion.
I apologise for any misunderstandings.
These users liked this post by randgrior (total 3):
piggybank, thraca, LovelyLove
Once more the ancient feast returns,
And the bright hearth domestic burns
With Yuletide's added blaze;
So, too, may all your joys increase
Midst floods of mem'ry, love, and peace,
And dreams of Halcyon days.

H.P. Lovecraft
thraca
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 15 times

Post by thraca »

I agree with randgrior. That is a very heavy custom modification that would be game breaking in many senses.
LovelyLove
Has liked: 58 times
Been liked: 9 times

Post by LovelyLove »

S > SinX Card XD
GM Oreki
Administrator
Has liked: 56 times
Been liked: 131 times

Post by GM Oreki »

Hi everyone,

I understand the reasoning behind this request from a PvP point of view but turning a 2 handed item to 1 handed item is just too much for the idea of our server.

Topic closed!

Enjoying MindRO? Help others find it - leave a review on RMS!